If you’re tall, you know the struggles of finding furniture that’s comfortable and proportional. Most store-bought furniture is made for people of average height, which means it’s often too small for tall people. This can be frustrating, especially when it comes to something as important as a desk. After all, you spend hours sitting at your desk, so it’s important that it’s comfortable. That’s why we’ve put together this guide on how to build a standing desk that’s perfect for tall people.
First, you’ll need to gather your materials. You’ll need:
-4 wooden boards (we recommend 2x4s)
-saw (hand saw or power saw—whatever you’re more comfortable with)
-Paint or wood stain
– tape measure
– screwdriver or power drill
With your materials gathered, you’re ready to start building!
Here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
1. Cut your boards. You’ll need two boards that are 80 inches long and two boards that are 60 inches long. Use a measuring tape and saw to cut the boards to size.
2. Paint or stain your boards. This is entirely up to personal preference. If you want a natural look, leave the wood unstained. If you prefer a pop of color, paint your boards with your color of choice. Once you’ve decided on a finish, apply polyurethane to protect the wood and allow it to dry completely.
3. Assemble the frame of your desk using the 80-inch boards for the legs and the 60-inch boards for the support beams. Drill pilot holes and then use screws to attach the beams to the legs. Be sure to use a level when attaching the support beams so that your desk is even when completed.
4. Attach your desktop surface. This can be any flat surface that fits your needs and style preferences. We recommend attaching it with screws so that it’s secure.
5 .Enjoy your new standing desk! You did it! Now you have a sturdy, well-built desk that’s perfect for tall people. Sit back and enjoy all the hours you’ll spend working comfortably at your new desk!
With this guide in hand, you’re ready to tackle building a standing desk that’s tailored specifically for tall people! Just gather your supplies, follow our step-by-step instructions, and enjoy your new custom piece of furniture!
How high should a standing desk be for a tall person? You must be able to maintain proper posture and positioning based on the position of the items on it. Height range: Your desk should have a minimum height of 22 inches and at least a maximum height of at least 45 inches.
How tall should a standing desk be for someone 6 feet tall? As an easy measure – add one inch to the desk space for every three inches to the person’s height. For example, if an employee is 6 feet, then the standard desk height would be 27 inches. An affordable solution to buying a new desk with desk height for a tall person is to cut the desk legs.
Are height adjustable desks worth it? Standing desks are, without a doubt, over-hyped, and most of the supposed benefits simply aren’t true. While the science is still catching up, the existing research strongly points in the direction that standing desks simply aren’t worth the investment.
Is standing healthier than sitting? The Pros. Besides less sitting time, standing at work has other benefits: More calories burned: One study showed that standing sheds 88 calories an hour, compared to 80 calories for sitting. Walking burns a lot more — 210 calories an hour.