If you’re lucky enough to have your own office, chances are it’s on the smaller side. That’s not a bad thing! Small offices can actually be quite cozy and comfortable. However, when it comes to placing your desk, you need to be strategic to make the most of the space you have. Here are a few tips for determining the best placement for your desk in a small office.
1. Consider the traffic flow. You want to be able to move around your office easily without having to climb over things or move things out of the way. That means your desk should be placed in a way that doesn’t block any doorways or create any obstacles in terms of foot traffic.
2. Think about the light. Natural light is always best, so if you have a window in your office, position your desk so that you can take advantage of it. If you don’t have a window, make sure your desk isn’t blocking any existing light sources like lamps or overhead lights.
3. Pay attention to cords and outlets. If you have a lot of electronics in your office, you’ll need to be close to outlets so that you can plug everything in. You also don’t want a ton of cords running across the floor where people could trip over them, so try to keep them hidden as much as possible.
4. Make sure you have enough storage. A small office means every inch of space counts, so you need to be thoughtful about how you’re using it all. If possible, position your desk so that you can take advantage of vertical storage by placing shelves or cabinets above it. This will help keep your office feeling open and airy while still providing ample storage for all of your belongings.
5. Consider ergonomics. Finally, don’t forget about ergonomics! Even if your office is on the smaller side, you should still be able to comfortably use your computer and access everything you need without having to strain yourself. Make sure your desk is at a comfortable height and that everything you need is within easy reach.
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to placing a desk in a small office, but following these tips should help you find the perfect spot for maximum productivity (and comfort!).
Place your desk as close to a natural light source as possible. You should also place your desk as close to a natural light source as possible. Some like to face the window, but if that proves too distracting, put the desk perpendicular to it.
What is the smallest desk size? There’s a standard size for small bedroom desks: 30 inches wide, 20 inches deep and 30 inches tall. Models which are smaller than that usually aren’t much smaller, shaving a few inches from those dimensions at most. For rooms with more space, however, there are small desks as wide as 48 inches.
What is a narrow desk called? Secretary desks typically have a smaller footprint than other desks, and can easily hide your workspace. A secretary desk is great for small spaces and those who need a large amount of storage but don’t need a large workspace.
How do you fit a desk into a small room?
- Zone the space. (Image credit: Future)
- Add a desk between fitted wardrobes. (Image credit: Davide Lovatti)
- Place the desk by a window.
- Fit a floating desk into a corner.
- Squeeze a desk into a snug alcove.
- Incorporate a slim-line desk into fitted storage.
- Hide a desk in a closet.
- Add character with a vintage desk.