Choosing the right desk will ease the work of a graphic designer, while the wrong one can make him miserable. Graphic designers are people who have mastered the art of creating visual concepts, by use of a hand or a computer software to convey ideas that inform, inspire, and captivates clients. A Graphic designer may spend more time than normal office users at desks in front of a computer. This is where the magic happens, and that is why it is important for the right setup of his workplace to yield best results. You can prefer L shaped computer desk for setting up your office at home. You can also refer to some of these ideas if you are setting up your desk for the first time.
When doing graphic design, establishing the best office conditions is important for not only personal health but also productivity. Taking long hours at a particular workstation can result in a variety of diseases, particularly for the neck, arms and back and that’s why this article looks at the best desk a graphic designer should have to comfortably complete his job. If you are a graphics designer or like them, you spend so much time on your desk, I suggest you listen up, these tips could just save your life!
What are some of the aspects a graphic designer needs to look at:-
1. The position of the desk.
A graphic design desk should make the designer comfortable without compromising his correct body posture. Ideally, a designer should sit at the desk and keep his forearms parallel to the floor when working on the computer. However, individual person’s preferences might dictate an upper arm-to-forearm angle between 70 degrees and 130 degrees to attain comfort. Anything beyond this angle range might lead to the development of chronic joint and muscle pain.
2. Desk Size
First, a graphic designer must assess the various desk sizes available and must make sure that the choice he is going for is one that is right to make his work a success. Sizes vary, and for that reason, he should choose the one which will not cause him to strain. This means that if he is choosing a supportive chair is the first thing in selecting an ideal desk height. The desk and chair must relate together as a cohesive unit. Settling on a chair that has an adjustable back support which provides the most comfort and customization. The graphic designer when seated should place his leg angle between 90 and 110 degrees and the edge of the seat not in contact with the back of his knees. Other considerations determining the desk’s perfect size are the tools he is using and the task he is performing.
3. The height of the desk
In general, a standard desk measures 27-to-30 inches high, which works best for people between 5’7″ and 5’10” feet tall. Shorter or taller designers may have difficulty working under those conditions. In such a situation the possible solution is purchasing a desk with an adjustable work surface. The best adjustable surfaces can be adjusted to as low as 21 inches or raised as high as 34 inches, providing a comfortable level for a designer.
In a situation where the graphic designer is not able to buy a new desk, other techniques may be employed. Placing stable risers such as concrete blocks or boards under desk legs can bring up a low desk. When raising the height of the chair is not an option, reducing the desk’s legs may lower a desk that is too high for a graphic designer. Raising the chair may also bring about adding a footrest in maintaining a comfortable posture.
4. Space and ergonomics.
- Space and ergonomics are vital aspects of putting into consideration when deciding the choice of a desk. The desk should:-
- Provide a minimum of three or four feet in-between the designer desk and another piece of office furniture.
- Provide a comfortable height for the keyboard. Keyboards placed on traditional desks can be too high and may bring about discomfort or muscle strain for the user. Computer desks should be equipped with keyboard platforms or adjustable legs.
- Ensure an easier and comfortable reach of desktop equipment, and it should have sufficient space in order not to overload the desktop.
- In case the graphic designer desk has sharp edges, consider putting wrist pads along those edges to avoid instances of unnecessary pinching and pressure on the inner surface of the wrists.
5. He should identify how he will use his desk.
The graphic designer has to organize his desk in a way that will enable him to do the designing work comfortably. He has to put into consideration the following:-
- In instances of the more paperwork-generating job, he should choose a graphic designer desk or workstation that will provide enough surface possible so that it can accommodate those bulky books, spreadsheets, or piles of important papers. He may also want to consider a desk with overhead cabinet space or shelves.
- In the case of more computer work, he ought to select a desk or workstation basically designed for desktop use. If making use of a PC, he should ensure the desk offers space or a compartment to accommodate the CPU underneath. Look for built-in wiring channels or holes for electrical connections; this will allow for a safe avenue to keep cords out of his way.
- In respect to computer work, paperwork and meetings, it is vital to consider an “L”-shaped desk formation to allow for both meeting and job space. If space or finances allow, a “U”-shaped model will make more provisions for space and makes an impressive presentation for customers or guests.
In conclusion, when dealing with the art of graphic designing, establishing best furniture in the office is important for not only best work output but also personal health. Working for long at substandard workstations can cause a variety of diseases, particularly back and neck and arms. It is important for the graphic designer to consider these important aspects in choosing the best desk for his work. Is it the desk that will suit his job needs? Will its size, shape, and height fit well within the constraints of his office or workspace? Can the desk surface withstand the day-to-day work demands for the graphic design job environment? These are just a few aspects he needs to consider when choosing the work desk.